I know I should have thicker skin when it comes to snide remarks. I know I should let it roll off my back. I know I shall expect it again. It makes my brain go into what people should say. They are:
5 things Not to Say to an Autism Parent
- Everything happens for a reason.
- At least the child is healthy.
- That must be tough.
- Can’t you control your kid? ( or the nasty glances.)
- I don’t know how you do it.
- This kid is born to you because you are strong and can handle it all.
5 things to say to an Autism Parent
- How are you?
- Can I babysit sometime?
- Your kid is wonderful/smart/delightful.
- The world is a better place with your kid in it.
I wish to put this on a laminated card to hand out when people approach me . I wonder what the fifth thing that should be on that list.
What would you say to a parent with a child on the spectrum that is positive?